Going to any kind of business conference can range from "Ooh" to "Meh" - depending on where the conference is and how interested you are in the topic. Getting the most out of a conference such as Metalcon means managing and prioritizing your time, organizing your schedule and, yes, allowing for some downtime. We put this guide together to help you make the most out of Metalcon 2017.
5 Tips to Prepare for Metalcon 17
- Look at where the conference is and pack accordingly. Think about the weather or climate and where you are. If you're in the middle of Vegas, you will probably want to leave the convention to get dinner. If you are in a hotel in the middle of a suburban wasteland you might not have that option - and may want to pack assuming you will stay indoors the entire time. Overpacking can make travel frustrating.
- Get the conference app. Most business conferences and conventions either have their own app or use one of the generic conference apps. If you have the schedule on your phone, you won't realize you left the conference schedule in your room and can't remember where that vital sessions are. This is even more important if you are doing a presentation, but it can help everyone. You can even set up a personalized schedule so you know where you are going. There is almost always an Android and an iPhone version.
- Schedule downtime. It can be very tempting to go to session after session until your brain is fried and you are cross-eyed. Schedule a time for lunch, whether that is with a potential client or not, and be willing to skip a session to decompress and relax.
- Get enough sleep. It is even more tempting to network into the night (especially when the "networking" involves alcohol), but you will be sharper during the convention and less likely to come down with the cold somebody imported from Toronto afterward if you sleep properly.
- If possible, try to arrive the day before the convention and leave the day after - this may not be in the budget, but it helps avoid the post-conference fatigue that can hit. Trying to come back from a conference at midnight and go to work the next day can result in not getting anything done when you return.
Whether you are excited by a conference or it is a work requirement you would rather avoid, these tips will help with a smooth experience and help you learn while staying healthy. But once you are in Vegas, what will be the most interesting events to attend? We have a few ideas.
6 Activities to Attend at Metalcon 17
- Attend a session. Metalcon has some fascinating sessions on topics that include the impact of marijuana legalization, hiring and working with millennials and ABIS' own session -Software Solutions - Automation in the Metal Industry.
- Walk the exhibit floor and talk to vendors who might have useful products and services for you. ABIS will be at booth 1920. Make sure to download the Metalcon app so you will have the floor plan in your pocket.
- Watch - or even take part in - the "Aces of Las Vegas" Metal Roofing Championship Games. They've been doing this for four years and teams of two will compete for a cash award, engaging in a variety of challenges to prove their skill.
- Take part in Metalcon's Oktoberfest. Participating vendors will have beer. And, of course, you can always enjoy a brew at a local bar after the sessions are over.
- Take an extra day in Las Vegas and go on a tour to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon or Death Valley. Even more interesting to construction types - how about a half day tour of the Hoover Dam?
- Last, but not least, attend the Triumph Awards - celebrate the accomplishments of outstanding professionals while enjoying a full course dinner, cocktails, and live entertainment from emcee and Austin Powers impersonator John Di Domenico.
Metalcon 17 Most Popular Exhibitors
Like every edition of Metalcon, the Expo Floor is the star of the show. With 230 exhibitors, it is the ultimate conference for the Metal Construction Industry and it concentrates everything a Metal Construction business could need under the same roof: Coil Processing Equipment, Metal Roofing Systems, Wall Panels, Underlayments, Rollforming Equipments, and much more.
To make the most out of it, you should list the elements in your company that need improvements and the type of systems that could help you bridge those gaps. It could be a better provider of resources, a more performing piece of equipment, or a software that helps you become 20% more efficient. Here are some of the most popular categories to explore at Metalcon 17:
- Metal Roofing Systems - Many companies from the metal construction industry choose to specialize in part of the construction of a metal building. Some focus on the structure while others specialize in the assembly, and many need a partner when it comes to metal roofing. You're at the right place, Metalcon has the highest concentration of Metal Roofing companies per square feet in the US!
- Metal Building Systems - Those companies provide a wide range of services from design, to manufacturing and selling a comprehensive line of metal buildings and components. With 50 exhibitors on the floor of Metalcon, it is the perfect place to meet Industry leaders and key personnel.
- Manufacturing Equipments - In this category, you will find companies providing machinery such as roll formers coils processors or 1" Standing Seam panel machines. Roll Former Corporation is a company that falls into this category by providing 25 different Standard Product Machines for the metal roofing, metal building, and product supply industries.
- Wall Panel Systems - Looking for a Wall Panels provider for your new project? Metalcon lists 44 companies providing this service. The Aluminum Shingle Company for example offers aluminum, zinc, and copper shingles with a lifetime non-prorated warranty as well as a 165 mph wind warranty. Take advantage of the conference to make connections and get the best product for your company.
- Computer Software - In the metal building industry, competition is fierce and margins are put under pressure. One of the best ways to counter this is to make the most out of each and every one of your resources. A software built for the metal construction industry is the ultimate tool to help you realize this. It connects every aspect of your business within one application, giving you insights on every aspect of your business. You can then start shortening your processes, increasing your productivity, reducing your bottom line costs, and increasing your margins, all the while providing better service to your customers. So if there is one category of companies you shouldn't miss at Metalcon, it's definitely the computer software one. Feel free to visit ABIS, Inc booth 1920, we will be glad to explain how you could increase your productivity by 20%.
Whatever you decide to do at the conference, don't forget to balance learning and networking with downtime so you can get the most out of it. Note that ABIS will be there, please feel free to contact us for more information about where you can find us and what we will be doing at the conference.